Feed the Future Senegal Youth in Agriculture project builds upon the Education and Research in Agriculture project by scaling up and institutionalizing a 4-H positive youth development program. It also improves vocational training and business development by testing innovative approaches that strengthen linkages between universities and the private sector.
The project addresses Senegal’s and USAID/Senegal’s Economic Growth for All (EG4ALL) efforts to contribute to increased inclusive economic growth and the reduction of poverty and undernourishment in Senegal, using the following guiding principles:
- Sustainability and coordination with the ministries of Higher Education, Research, and Innovation as well as the regional offices of the national PYD program
- Local ownership of the process within the Government of Senegal
- Empowerment and resilience, key principles of positive youth development
- Gender integration with a particular emphasis on empowering adolescent girls
- Science and innovation with a focus on vocational training in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM)